Before I get into all the juicy stuff about the throat chakra I have to confess that I got all caught up in the color blue. I’ve been putting together pinterest pages for all the colors but this time I wasn’t sure exactly which shade of blue to focus on. I saw everything from a light turquoise to a deep cobalt blue. My first inclination was to go with a deep cobalt blue because I’m really attracted to that color. I went crazy developing a BLUE pinterest page devoted to this rich color. Although I still think it’s a gorgeous color and am happy I went a little wild putting together my pinterest page, I’m more and more convinced that the true color for the throat chakra is a sky blue. I didn’t find it as easy putting together my SKY BLUE pinterest page as the blue pinterest page (it’s mind boggling how many different shades of blue there are!) but I’m happy I separated the two. It’s so much easier on the eyes.
It doesn’t surprise me that most people choose blue as their favorite color. For me it evokes calmness and serenity and kind of pulls me in like a soothing comforter. There are few things cooler than staring up into a midnight blue sky or peering over a turquoise sea.
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra and is located in the center of your throat. It’s associated with your voice, expressing yourself, creativity and taking responsibility for your own needs. It’s also where your life purpose hangs out.
An unbalanced throat chakra can show up physically as ailments associated with the throat or mouth, such as laryngitis, a soar throat, mouth ulcers, swollen glands, thyroid dysfunctions, voice issues, or gum or teeth problems. On a more emotional level, an unbalanced throat chakra can cause confusion, inability to communicate needs, holding secrets, withholding your truth, blocked emotions and lack of faith.
A balanced throat chakra allows us to speak our truth, to know our life purpose, to take responsibility for our needs, to communicate effectively, to express ourselves creatively, and to receive and assimilate information.
Here are some ways to help cleanse and rebalance your throat chakra:
- use your voice. Sing, chant, talk to yourself, talk to your pets, whatever.
- journal. Express yourself through the written word.
- practice speaking your truth with love. Say no when you want to say no. Start small and build up.
- bring blue into your world. Imagine a beautiful sky blue in your throat chakra. Imagine it cleansing and releasing.
- drink water.
- wear blue gems and/or crystals, especially around your throat.
Here are some affirmations to help balance your throat chakra:
- I speak my truth with love and clarity.
- I know my truth and share it.
- It’s right for me to express the truth of who I am.
- My voice matters.
- I am surrounded by people who want to hear what I have to say.
- It is beneficial to others for me to be heard.
- I am guided by my deepest purpose.
- My life is guided by divine synchronicity.
Here’s an amazing Alan Watts video talking about the real you. I’m not sure if it relates fully to the throat chakra (I try to have these little videos coincide without being overly literal) but this one’s too good not to share. Sorry in advance if it boggles your mind a bit. And please feel free to comment on this post. I’d love to hear your thoughts. SPEAK UP!