I want to let you in on a little secret: you CAN create the life you want. It probably won’t be perfect and I can guarantee that there will be challenges along the way but I also know that you have within you the power to create the life you want. How do I know? Because I’ve done it over and over again.
Unfortunately most of us don’t realize that we have these beliefs that are holding us back. The tricky thing with beliefs is that we BELIEVE them to be true and rarely question them. If you believe your parents are your parents, you probably never thought to question it. Same with beliefs. You can’t know what you don’t know.
So how do you shift your beliefs if you can’t identify them? Here are some steps:
1. Start by identifying an area of your life that you’d like to change, that isn’t working out for you. Start with one area at a time so to not overwhelm yourself. You can always repeat these steps with as many areas of your life as you want.
2. Next examine your current beliefs about this area of your life. For example, I’ve run into several women who believe all men cheat and therefore they only attract men who cheat. They create what they believe. This is the belief they would need to examine. Write out all the beliefs you have (good or bad) around this area of your life.
3. Look over the list of beliefs you made and put stars next to any that are negative and have the potential to hold you back from what you want. For example, if someone is having trouble with their finances, one belief they might have that could be impacting their financial flow is the belief that people with money are mean and selfish.
If you aren’t finding any negative beliefs on your list, go back to step two and reconsider your beliefs. Sometimes they can be sneaky. Like I mentioned, since you believe them to be true, it’s sometimes hard to recognize them for what they are.
4. Look at how you can shift these negative beliefs. Back to the “all men cheat” example, one way to start shifting this belief is adopting the new beliefs that “only some men cheat” and “some men can be faithful.” Be cautious not to try to instill a new belief that you have a hard time believing, such as “I’m going to make a million dollars this year” if you’re not even in the six figures yet. Keep it real. Write out some potential new beliefs that you can start adopting to replace the old negative beliefs.
5. Start incorporating the new positive beliefs into your everyday life. When you notice that the old belief is rearing its ugly head (usually it’s through a thought), quickly replace it with the new more empowering belief. You are going to need to do this again and again until you start believing the new belief. Be diligent. The shift will happen.
If you need additional help, I would love to work with you. I’m a master at discovering negative (limiting) beliefs and helping people to shift them. I am able to identify them even (and especially) when you can’t. Sometimes it takes an outside observer to call them out.
I’m currently accepting new coaching clients for a limited time. You can schedule a no-obligation no-cost introductory session with me to discuss your challenges and to see if working with me as your coach makes sense for you. Click here to schedule your session.
Believe in yourself and believe in your dreams. You can make them happen!